REVIEW - After Math by Denise Grover Swank


I didn’t really have any expectations when I started reading After Math by Denise Grover Swank. I was only hoping there would be something original about it. I mean, the popular, handsome and womanizing jock on campus needs tutoring by the anti-social math nerd? How many times have we read this story? Or even watched that movie on lifetime? I will be honest and say that this had me a bit skeptical going into this read, but was pleasantly surprised by the outcome!

Denise Grover Swank certainly turned the nerd falling for the jock story into her own and made me fall in love with her characters, Scarlett Goodwin and Tucker Price. There were points in the book were I was deeply concerned for both of the main character’s well being and couldn’t put the book down because I had to know what other skeletons were going to come out of their closets.

We meet Scarlett Goodwin as she has her first encounter with Tucker when she is running late for class and accidently runs smack into him. Tucker is known around campus as a womanizing jock that is always in getting himself into trouble for one thing or another. Scarlett wants nothing to do with a guy like that. When she is bribed into tutoring him she has to face her anxiety over having people’s attention on her, as the whole campus starts to notice the girl Tucker Price is now having around with.

Scarlett was such an easy character to relate to. What girl doesn’t feel like the outcast? But also, the anxiety and being driven to over her past tugged at my heart and had me wanting to pull her into a hug and tell her how wonderful I thought she was!

Tucker had be worried about ninety percent of the book. It was pretty in love with him pretty quickly, but I didn’t know what to expect from him. With how Scarlett describes him in the beginning (as someone who craves the attention) I had a feeling he was going to do something very public to hurt and humiliate Scarlett with her social anxiety disorder.

While there were points in the book were Tucker did let me (as well as Scarlett) down, it warmed my heart that he was very mindful and even protective about her anxiety, and never once used it against her. And because Scarlett sees a different side to Tucker than everyone else, she is protective when people trash talk him around her.

Overall, this was an extremely heart-warming book, and I enjoyed every bit of it. Even the delicious torture Denise Grover Swank put us through waiting for see if anything was going to happen between Scarlett and Tucker.

Denise Grover Swank lives in Lee's Summit, Missouri. She’s a gypsy who can’t live in one place too long or stay in one genre. She writes contemporary romance, urban fantasies without vampires and werewolves, young adult science fiction, and romantic comedy mysteries set in the south. Denise has six children, three dogs, and an overactive imagination. She can be found dancing in her kitchen with her children, reading, or writing her next book. You will rarely find her cleaning.


Find Denise Grover Swank:
Like Denise Grover Swank on Facebook
Follow Denise Grover Swank on Twitter @DeniseMSwank
Become a fan of Denise Grover Swank on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment