GUEST POST - Nadia Simonenko



Sometimes you need someone else to help you find your way.

Maria's life was torn apart when she was fifteen, and for seven years she's kept her terrible secret hidden from the world.  Now, in her final semester of college, she still struggles against paralyzing fear just trying to speak up in class, and the terror and helplessness linger on in her nightmares.

Across campus, Owen sees his scars in the mirror every morning while he gets ready for class. They remind him of the broken home he left behind, the father he hates and fears, and the little sister he couldn't protect. Now, in his final semester of college, he's scared that he may have to return to the hell he called home after staying away for almost five years.

When Owen becomes a teaching assistant for one of Maria's classes, they find themselves irresistibly drawn to each other. As the two learn each other's secrets and grow closer, they realize that although they may be lost, they're not alone anymore.

This new adult contemporary romance is recommended for ages 17+ due to heavy subject matter.



Hello, fellow romance addicts!  It’s a pleasure to be here visiting with everyone tonight, and a big thank you to Stephanie for hosting me.

When I was invited to write a guest post for the Romance Addict Book Blog, I agonized over topics for days.  Character interviews weren’t going to cut it, because there is no way on earth that either of Lost’s main characters would ever agree to an interview.  Humorous posts wouldn’t fit the book.  In the end, I decided on this topic.  I’d like to take this post to talk about the story on a personal level, both on my own personal level and, an obfuscated sort of way, many other people’s levels.

At its core, Lost is a love story.  It is not your usual fictional love story, however.  It is a painfully realistic story, one based on – with their permission - the combined tales of real people who opened up to me over the last year.  There is no alpha billionaire, no rock star, and certainly no steamy BDSM in Lost.  It’s not that kind of story.

Lost is the story of two broken young people, Maria and Owen, as they try to pick up their broken pieces and put them back together again.  They’re apprehensive of what the uncertain future has in store for them, terrified of what’s behind them, and very, very much alone.

…until they meet each other in their final semester of college. 

Suddenly, things are changing.  Change is scary – especially when your life is like either of these two people’s lives – but they can feel themselves starting to come alive again.  Maria and Owen find someone they can trust – someone with whom to grow – in each other.  Maybe they’re not so alone after all.  Maybe they do have a chance of being loved by someone and of having someone they can love back.

Part brutally realistic fiction, part sweet romance, that’s the story of Lost

Lost has a little under 200 ratings and reviews across the various sites so far and the reviews have ranged from loving it to hating it, as you might expect for any book, really.  My favorite type of review, by far, is when the characters suck the reader in and they forget that Maria and Owen are fictional.  To give an example…

“The author wrote Maria and Owen in a realistic way that made the two main characters come alive. At times I forgot that these two characters were simply characters and I could see them as real people.” – Amazon Reviewer

When I started writing Lost, I only had one viewpoint to work from: my own.  I had my own memories from growing up, which are often not the nicest, let’s say (one character’s nightmares are in part from my own life).  It wasn’t enough for the story I wanted to write, though, and I started trying to find people to talk to and learn from.  So many people had stories like mine—stories of abuse, violent upbringings, rape, all sorts of horrible and terrible things—that I couldn’t even use all of them in the book.  There just wasn’t room in the book.  I had to pick and choose what I could include, but almost every major story is from somebody’s reality, pieced together into what I certainly hope is both a wonderful and painful reading experience. 

Some reviewers think it worked…
I thought of skipping through some of what [Maria] went through just because I don't like thinking about stuff like that but I didn't because that would have taken away from the overall experience. I really enjoyed this book and even though it was really quite sad the ending left me smiling and glad that I had read it.” – Goodreads Reviewer.

[Nadia] doesn't shy away from the difficult issue & doesn't sugar coat anything. The story felt very real & I became emotionally invested in the story. I especially love the way she handled the romance.” – Amazon Reviewer

From what I’ve written so far, It doesn’t sound, like there’s much to be happy about in this story, does it?  Why are the readers smiling at the end and becoming emotionally invested in characters? 
Because there is, in its own, brutally realistic sort of way, a happy ending to both this story and the stories of so many of the people who became Maria and Owen. 

Lost has a sequel due out in July (the rather obviously-named Found)  so it’s not a happily ever after, but it’s a happy ending.  A common theme among the people who opened up to me with their stories was finally making it past their problems in some way, be it therapy and counseling, moving away, legal justice finally being served, etc.  People were able to rebuild and move on.  On my own level, once I escaped what I grew up with and found my special someone, I was able to grow and thrive in a way I’d never been able to on my own.  Happily Ever After found me, really.  It found a lot of the people I talked to, honestly.

Two reviewers on Amazon sum up Lost perfectly, in my opinion…
Sympathy will be pouring out from readers throughout this entire novel as they follow along this depressing and heart wrenching story. This is definitely a read for someone looking for a deep and vaguely dark story. It is not a story for the weak hearted, but rather fans of survivors.”
Wow! What a book, what an experience. The story ripped my heart out and crushed it into millions of pieces, then it put each piece back with a delicate hand. LOVED IT!

If that’s your cup of tea or if you feel up for the experience, I believe that you will love Lost.  If you are into realistic fiction and can hold on for the light at the end of the tunnel, you’re in the right place and reading the right book.

Maria and Owen were lost, and I invite you to read along as they finally find each other. 

Thanks for having me here, Stephanie, and thanks to everyone for reading this.

Nadia Simonenko is a scientist and author currently living in Indianapolis with her husband, two cats and a dog. When she isn't writing, she develops new oncolytic compounds and dreams about someday getting to take a vacation.

Find Nadia Simonenko:
Like Nadia Simonenko on Facebook
Follow Nadia Simonenko on Twitter @NadiaSimonenko
Become a fan of Nadia Simonenko on Goodreads
Website: http://nadiaromance.com/

Expected Release: July 15, 2013

All it took was one phone call to tear Owen's life apart. His father is dead and his mother is in critical condition. Even though he feared his abusive father and despised his family, losing them hurts in a way he never expected. Just weeks ago, Owen was terrified that he'd have to go home. Now, there is no home.

All it took was one phone call to shatter Maria's happily-ever-after and bring her nightmares back to life. Maria's estranged brother is coming up to see her graduation and he isn't coming alone. He's bringing Maria's parents, as she expected, but he's also bringing along an old friend from college—someone who's haunted Maria's nightmares for seven years. Now, she's about to come face to face with the man who ruined her life.

Will the love and happiness Maria and Owen found be enough to hold them together as their lives fall apart around them, or will their relationship slip away and be lost forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment